This is a developing situation and information may change. We’ll update this article as more information becomes available. The most recent information will be updated at the top of the article, with the earlier reports below.
12/14/23 9:49 a.m. — State Route 128 is completely open. Drive safely!
MENDOCINO CO., 12/8/23 – Caltrans District 1 announced this afternoon that State Route 128 will close from the Route 1 junction to Navaro (postmile 0-12) starting at 3:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 8, due to flooding.
The Navarro River slowly started to flood over parts of State Route 128 during the past twenty-four hours as winter rains drenched the region this week. According to the National Weather Service Eureka, Anderson Valley can expect primarily sunny and dry conditions in the upcoming seven days, with a slight chance of precipitation Sunday night into early Monday.
An estimated time of reopening is unknown at this time. Caltrans advises drivers check https://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/ for updates. We will update this article when time of reopening is announced.
Please respect the road closures and “turn around, don’t drown.”
Conditions may vary widely across North Coast microclimates, and on your travel routes, so we’ve included a list of useful resources to keep you updated at the bottom of this article. You can check for the specific forecast for your neighborhood and on current road conditions as they develop.
Mendocino Voice Winter weather resources:
- Our guide for winter weather emergency and preparedness info — we recommend you bookmark this
- Check your specific forecast at this link along with the National Weather Service advisories and warnings, as well as their Facebook page and their Twitter page
- Check the CalTrans QuickMap for current road closures or call 1-800-GAS-ROAD
- Check for current accidents at the CHP traffic update page
- Caltrans traffic cameras can be seen here, and here are the PG&E cameras
- You can also check out the Weather Underground to look for weather stations in your area
- Check the PG&E current outage map to find or report power outages
- NWS has flood stage predictions here; and you can find USGS current streamflow information here
- NWS is seeking snowfall reports, and you can submit them to this website.
- We recommend meteorologist Daniel Swain’s Weather West Blog as a good place to find more in-depth current weather analysis
Sarah Stierch covers wildfires, breaking news, and more for The Mendocino Voice. You can follow Stierch on Twitter and learn more about her work and donate to her directly at here. Contact Stierch at [email protected]. The Voice maintains editorial control and independence.